Understanding 80 Percent Lowers: A Guide to Building Your Firearm

In the world of firearms enthusiasts and hobbyists, the concept of an 80 percent lower receiver has gained significant attention. These components, often referred to simply as 80 percent lowers, play a crucial role in the DIY (Do It Yourself) firearm community. Let’s delve into what exactly an 80 percent lower is, how it’s used, and why it’s become such a popular choice among firearm builders.

What is an 80 Percent Lower?

An 80 percent lower refers to an unfinished firearm receiver that is not yet considered a firearm under federal law. Specifically, it is a lower receiver for an AR-15 or similar rifle platform that is only 80 percent complete in terms of milling and drilling. This percentage threshold is significant because it allows individuals to legally purchase and possess these unfinished components without the need for serial numbers or background checks, which are mandatory for completed firearms.

How is an 80 Percent Lower Used?

Enthusiasts and builders often purchase 80 percent lowers as part of a project to build their own firearm. The process typically involves using specialized tools and equipment to complete the remaining 20 percent of machining. This includes milling out the trigger group area, drilling pin holes, and sometimes threading the bolt catch pin hole.

By completing these final machining steps, enthusiasts can transform their 80 percent lower into a fully functional lower receiver. This process not only provides a sense of accomplishment but also allows builders to customize their firearm according to personal preferences and specifications.

Read more How to Choose the Perfect Travel Watch Case for Your Next Trip

Legal Considerations and Regulations

It’s crucial to understand the legal implications and regulations surrounding 80 percent lowers. While these unfinished components are not firearms under federal law, they may be subject to state-specific regulations. It’s essential for builders to familiarize themselves with local laws and ensure compliance throughout the manufacturing process.

Why Choose for Your Build?

At, we specialize in providing high-quality 80 percent lowers and firearm components to enthusiasts and builders across the United States. Here are some reasons why our customers choose us:

  1. Quality and Precision: Our 80 percent lowers are crafted with precision machining and high-quality materials, ensuring durability and reliability.
  2. Variety and Selection: We offer a wide range of 80 percent lowers, including those compatible with AR-15 and similar rifle platforms. This variety allows builders to find the perfect match for their project.
  3. Customer Support: We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, providing assistance and guidance throughout the purchasing and building process.
  4. Compliance and Legal Knowledge: We stay up-to-date with federal and state regulations regarding 80 percent lowers, ensuring that our customers have the information they need to stay compliant.

Building Your Firearm with

When you choose for your firearm build, you’re not just buying a component—you’re investing in a community of builders and enthusiasts who share your passion. Whether you’re a seasoned builder or embarking on your first project, our products and resources are here to support you every step of the way.


80 percent lowers represent a unique opportunity for firearm enthusiasts to engage in DIY firearm building while navigating legal frameworks responsibly. At, we’re committed to providing top-quality products, expert guidance, and unwavering support for our customers’ building journeys. Explore our selection today and discover why so many builders trust for their firearm projects.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button